tweet..

  • Loading Tweets..

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Letters from iceland

I first came across exerpts from this book in the movie Away From Her. There was something strange and alluring about the language...thus began my obsession to find it. I searched crosswordz, Om book stores, Old delhi book bazaar only to be dissapointed. However being the strangely stubborn girl that i am... i didnt give up. I pestered my boyfriend at my regular intervals till he mainly to preserve domestic peace got it reprinted from the publisher(it had gone out of print). And what a treat the book is..... charmingly funny, irreverent and vivid...believe me its a sin to have it go out of print. Here goes....

Isn't it true however far we've wandered into our provinces of persecution, where our regrets accuse, we keep returning back to the common faith from which we've all dissented, back to the hands, the feet, the faces? Children are always there and take the hands, even when they are most terrified. Those in love cannot make up their minds to go or stay. Artist and doctor return most often. Only the mad will never, never come back. For doctors keep on worrying while away, in case their skill is suffering or deserted. Lovers have lived so long with giants and elves, they want belief again in their own size. .

I am lost in iceland.W.H.Auden rocks!

1 comment:

  1. ** Those on love cannot make up their minds to go or stay.**
    Yups... it takes some times years...

    ReplyDelete